We've got a sweet tooth at Orli HQ, and our favourite treat of all is Lemon Drizzle Cake! Here's how to make it:
FOR THE CAKES
- 8 eggs
- 440g self raising flour
- 440g baking butter (at room temperature), plus extra for greasing tins
- 440g caster sugar plus 2 heaped tablespoons for drizzling
- 2 lemons
- 8 tablespoons of icing sugar
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FILLING
- 1-2 blocks of butter (depending how much filling you want)
- 160g icing sugar or more (to taste)
- 320g lemon curd
- 1/2 lemon
- Electric whisk (or a hand whisk, however, we recommend an electric one)
- 2 cake tins
- Piping bag (optional)
- LARGE mixing bowl
- Greaseproof paper
- Cocktail stick
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4
- Line the bottom of two cake tins with greaseproof paper and generously grease the sides of the tins with butter.
- Into a large mixing bowl, whisk together 440g of butter and 440g caster sugar, until it is light and fluffy.
- Crack 4 eggs into the sugar and butter and whisk together, once this is mixed well, crack in your remaining 4 eggs and whisk together.
- Sift in 440g self raising flour, and whisk together.
- Grate the zest of 2 lemons and add the zest to the cake mix (keep the lemons to the side as we will use them later), whisk together.
- Evenly split the cake mix into your two cake tins and spread the mix evenly so that it is flat and level, and then pop them into the oven to cook for 40 minutes.
- Tips: set a timer for 25 minutes, and swap the tins around so that the cake on the top shelf isn't cooking faster than the bottom shelf.
After 40 minutes take them out and check on them, using a cocktail stick/knife, pierce the cakes, if it comes out clean they are ready. If not, put them back in the oven and check on them every 5 minutes.
- Whilst the cakes are cooking, add 2 heaped tablespoons of caster sugar to a bowl and the juice of two whole lemons. Mix well until the sugar dissolves.
- In another bowl, sift in 8 tablespoons of icing sugar and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon. Mix well. If the mixture is clear and runny, add some more icing sugar.
- Once the cakes are cooked, let them cool for 10 minutes and then carefully remove them from the tins and place on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Using a cocktail stick, randomly pierce small holes around the cakes. Spoon on the sugar and lemon juice mix so that it soaks into the cakes.
- Decide which cake is the "top" and drizzle/spread your icing sugar/lemon juice mix to the "top" cake. Let the cakes cool entirely.
- For the buttercream filling: sift roughly 160g of icing sugar to a bowl with 200-400g of butter, whisk together. Add 320g lemon curd and the juice of half a lemon, and whisk together. (Please note: keep tasting the filling and add more/less of the ingredients as you desire).
- Time to build! Add the buttercream filling to the "bottom cake" and spread out with a fork. Carefully add the "top cake".
- Time to get creative! Put the remaining buttercream into a piping bag and decorate the top of the cake as you desire!
Now tuck in and enjoy!!
Team Orli xx